The home for all things DARKWARD....because everything looks better in the dark.

Tuesday 6 July 2010

Incubus Anomaly by Elusivetwilight






Summary: Incubus: a sex demon that visits women in the deep dark of the night. Edward relies on his special gifts to consume his prey. What happens when he meets the one woman immune to his unique abilities?


IrishTwiSisters Says:


“She was an anomaly to me, a unique enigma, and as much as I tried, I could not break into her vaulted mind.”

I read a lot of fan-fiction. I am a firm believer in HEA (Happy Ever After) endings. I'm in no way an angst junkie. Or at least I wasn't until I was corrupted by Elusivekoolaid (Elusivetwilight). LambCullen also played her part in my conversion.

Not having read very many vamp-fics I was wary of starting one about an Incubus. Truly, having gone from one of Elusive's first offerings, The Rain Season, which I adored and had the pleasure to beta, to Incubus Anomaly is very much like a fire and ice scenario. I felt like Bella in Eclipse, torn between two passions. I wanted to stay in the All-Human world with some minor angst and HEA's but I was being pulled toward this dark vampire and his addiction to my blood...sorry, Bella's blood (excuse my fantasy).

“Her blood hummed and sang in her veins, like a perfect song, of which, I could only catch a couple of notes.”

Something about this Edward and this Bella has drawn me into their world. It has corrupted my innocent mind (pfft!!) in a most deviant and delicious way.

If you like your ‘Bellas’ weak and indecisive and needy then this Bella is not for you. From her chain-smoking, to her leather-clad motorbike riding self to her kick-boxing, this Bella is a bad-ass. Utterly hardcore! And, you will discover, she is this way for a reason. She has her own dark past that has made her become who she is today, but it’s not all dark in Bella’s world, so don’t worry.

Edward struggles with his need for Bella and her blood. This need goes against everything he has trained himself to be. But, much like the reader and this story, he can’t get enough.

“Fear was a strange bedfellow for me. Could I afford to lose the parts of myself I have developed over the last century? Could I allow light into places inside me I had allowed to grow dim? A modicum of human instinct and emotion existed somewhere within me. Could the caged beast exist alongside my dormant human self?”

The fiery passion between these two is written so well, I would recommend a purchase of new underwear before you read or better yet don’t wear ‘em at all. The heat emanates from the page and will make you sizzle.

Elusive is not afraid to challenge the reader in their concept of how a character should behave and certainly doesn’t pander to ‘how Stephenie would have done it’. Elusive does it better and Stephenie would be shocked to her Mormon core!

She is also not afraid to cross boundaries with her characters and you will be left open-mouthed in shock at certain twists and turns this amazing story takes you on.
Enjoy it, and as always, Be Safe

NitaReality Says:

"Oh God!"
"Trust me, he's watching."

With those four words, I was already hooked, already in lust with this cocky character, and I didn't even know who it was. Of course, we're not done yet.

"Deeper, please go deeper."
I watched as she bit her lip, while I thrust into her. I lifted her legs up higher and the movement caused me to slide further into her slick wet passage.”

You have my attention. I read on, captivated by the passionate scene, then later...

“...I quickly found her femoral artery. It was easy enough, I had done it a thousand times over to a thousand different women. Making a small incision, I lapped at the blood that gurgled from the wound. She sighed and gasped in her sleep while I fed.”
Oh I see.


After the prologue we are sucked into the unique, layered world that ElusiveTwilight created for our fair Bella to live in. Not your typical girl, she's a tough, motorcycle riding, smoking, leather pants wearing chick. She's so real. She is perfectly flawed, having her share of insecurities, vices and skeletons in her closet.

Edward is wonderfully dark; a sex demon who is slapped upside the head by Bella's scent, her silence, her beauty., He's just moved to a house on the opposite side of the street from Bella. We watch as, over time, he is pulled into Bella's orbit, despite actively fighting the light that she brings into his existence.

“Fear was a strange bedfellow for me. Could I afford to lose the parts of myself I have developed over the last century? Could I allow light into places inside me I had allowed to grow dim? A modicum of human instinct and emotion existed somewhere within me. Could the caged beast exist alongside my dormant human self?”


Throughout the story he struggles with these issues, these emotions. The author navigates the waters of Edward's inner turmoil without turning him into a simpering boy, or a fluffy flower bearing devotee of the House of Bella.


The supporting cast in this fic are deeper than you typically find. ElusiveTwilight manages to avoid cliches at every turn, giving us a likeable Jessica, a mysterious Marcus, and a Newton that I couldn't hate. The big surprise here is the Cullen family itself. She's has made them authentic too, dysfunctional rather than perfect. Bella has her own tangled web of family dynamics that's fully believable and relatable.


The entire story is riddled with delicious sexual tension, dark humor, angst and action. You see all sides of Edward, my favorite being the hunter. You see a brave Bella, so easy to root for. The sex is passionate and raw. The characters and setting are multi-faceted and very well written. You won't regret a minute spent with this fic.

Incubus Anomaly on FF.

6 comments:

  1. I love IA so much. Edward is seriously hot & sexy in this and I just can't wait for each chapter to be posted. Elusive has done a wonderful job with keeping Edward dark & true to his vamp self.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Y'know sometimes I wonder what the hell I'm doing, and if it only makes sense in my addled mind.

    And then people just get it. they get it, and they enjoy it. And I enjoy them enjoying it.

    It's like an orgy. Without hands. And awkward glances afterwards.

    Cigarette?

    Srsly tho...thank you. A lot. Words like these deeply resonate with me and keep me going. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the video! MWAH, my love for you and this fic is strong.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elusive is an awesome writer; the way she describes her characters and its facets it's so intense and deep.

    IA is an impressive masterpiece that must be read and appreciated!

    Thank you to share this amazing story with us!

    *The video and its soundtrack were perfect!*

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE this story. she writes BOTH of their sides of it so well.

    i was wondering when Deviants were going to give it some attention and affection ;) and you guys did, oh so well!

    had never seen the video, loved it too :)

    hearts,
    sarah.xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love... love, love, love this story. Bella is kind of jaded, which you don't see too often in fics, and Edward is dark without being a bad guy. He still places value on human life. He's not running around killing people in order to drink their blood. I really like the fact that he's older as well. It was the first time I've seen vampire Edward who wasn't 17. It adds a nice twist to the story. The dynamic between the Cullens (the ones that have been in the story so far) is interesting as well. I can't wait to find out more about that. I also like that this story is kind of a slow burn. It's how many chapters in and Bella still hasn't seen Edward in the sun? Everything about it is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete