The home for all things DARKWARD....because everything looks better in the dark.

Thursday 19 August 2010

Snap by Ruby Wednesday

Photobucket

Snap decisions have devastating consequences. Edward makes a different choice on Bella's first day of school and learns the hard way that two wrongs can never make a right. A two-part dark AU


Donna_rai says:


This is a two chapters fic and to start with I didn’t think I would like, I didn’t think two chapters was enough to tell a proper story, but after reading I was proven wrong!!
This is based on what would have happened if Edward’s bloodlust got the best of him on Bella’s first day at Forks High school.

“Bella Swan stood with her back pressed to the wall beside the door, a piece of paper clutched in her hand. Her eyes were even wider than usual as she took in my ferocious, inhuman glare.
The smell of her blood saturated every particle of air in the tiny, hot room. My throat burst into flames.
The monster glared back at me from the mirror of her eyes, a mask of evil.”


I am always intrigued by Authors that are willing to take there fic to a darker side, this is what I consider a more realistic approach at Edward's nature.
Raw, compelling, haunting and refreshingly different - there's something about the alternate nature of this one that sticks with me.
I wish I could be a little bit more coherent in my review, but I'm just overwhelmed and awed with this story. It was an experience in itself. Ruby Wednesday brought out the best and the worst in Edward and did his character complete justice.

“But I saw too much with my heightened senses and witnessed him sob with his head on the steering wheel until a bell rang and he drove away.
That parking spot became the location for a new tragedy and gave the good people of Forks a new loss to rubberneck at.”


Lambcullen says:

I’ll be honest and say I have no idea where to start with this one. I read it three times - one after the other, when I initially found it, not because it was difficult to understand, or because it confused me.
I read it three times because I adored it.
It starts on that very first day at Forks High; the day Edward scented Bella for the very first time.

“The monster raged in my head but I was willing myself not to reach out and grab her as she walked by. This human was surprising indeed, not that it would matter for too much longer.”

It’s Midnight Sun before it was ever leaked. It shows Edward’s thirst for what it really was, and the description have you salivating right along with him.

“Her blood was seeping through the fabric of her jeans. I had fantasized about it all afternoon. Now that it was flowing freely the scent was even more mouth-watering than I had imagined. It was like water to parched man, a drug to an addict, the finest brandy to an alcoholic. I no longer had a choice in the matter. I had to have it now.”

Ruby Wednesday had me hooked within the first five hundred words, and I was enthralled until the very last sentence. Donna is right when she says it’s raw, because after it’s over you’re left stunned. I’m not even going to into the ending, because I’d hate to ruin it.
I know two chapters is short, but there is really no need for more. It’s perfect as it is.

“I sank my teeth into her flesh.
The taste of her blood was even better than I envisaged. Better than I could have dreamed.
Filled my mouth and coated my throat as thick as honey
It was ambrosia from the gods.
An oasis in the desert.”


I found myself thinking of the end for hours afterward.
It stays with you...just like all good stories should. I think every single fan of Darkward should devour this, because it ticks every single box....and more.

Snap! on FF.net

2 comments:

  1. This one one of the first fics I read. Scary, right? I was still in my happy little Twilight land at the time. I loved it until the last line of chapter one, but by then I was committed, and since I was morbidly curious, I kept reading. See, I've always been a lover of the dark, I just wasn't fully prepared for something this when I started. I think if I read it for the first time now, it would sit a lot better with me. Although, I'm kind of a wussy Darkward lover because I still like HEAs. ;)

    Thanks for bringing us great recs every week ladeez!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love everything lambie has rec'd me so I am off to read this.
    Mel24fan

    ReplyDelete